You will need:
- 1/2 bag of Trader Joe’s pre-cut sweet potato cubes (about 3 cups) or 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 pound uncured no-nitrate bacon (I use Trader Joe’s 40 percent less fat, no nitrate bacon)
- 2 tablespoons Kerrygold butter or ghee
- 1 teaspoon (or more to your liking) Celtic sea salt
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
Here’s how to make these tasty treats:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. If you have whole sweet potatoes, peel them and cut them lengthwise into quarters. Then cut each quarter in half, and then half again.
- Melt the butter over low heat and stir in Celtic sea salt. Toss the potatoes into the salted, melted butter to coat for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Cut the bacon about 3-4 times so each piece is about 1.5 to 2 inches long. Put a toothpick on the top end of the bacon strip then push it through the sweet potato cube and back through the bacon. Repeat.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet, put your wraps side by side on the paper, and bake for 45 minutes, turning once about halfway through.
- These are done when the bacon is crispy and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Remove from heat, drizzle with maple syrup, and let cool before serving.
Landria Voigt, C.H.H.C., is the Nutritional Consultant and Public Speaker at Dr. Taz’s Atlanta Center for Holistic & Integrative Medicine office. She is a graduate of The University of Georgia and the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. She is author of the popular family and nutritional blog Stir It Up! where she shares her healthy recipes aimed at pleasing even the most finicky of palates, as well as forward-thinking ideas about nutrition. And she is author of the book Super Paleo Snacks coming out this month.